Hello and welcome to Houston’s largest and longest-running Burning Man theme camp! Our camp specializes in introducing new burners to the playa and regional burns each year. We also place careful emphasis on introducing new burners to burner culture, particularly the Burning Man Ten Principles. We’re always interested in meeting new people and helping them have an excellent first burn. That said, veteran burners are also most welcome.
Houpla was founded in 2016 and first attended Burning Man in 2017 as a placed camp. Since then, the camp has attended Burning Man two additional times, as well as the Burning Flipside, Heartburn, and Unbroken Spring regional burns.
Now Accepting Applications for 2022 Campmates
Houpla has space for 1-3 additional people who already have their tickets. (Sadly, we have no more tickets to offer!) To apply, please fill out our survey: https://forms.gle/QQCAdh6hQdMSPMq7A
2022 Camp Location
The camp was placed at 9:30 and Cocteau this year and is excited about again being an active part of the 9:00 sector.
2022 Camp Size, Offerings and Infrastructure
This year’s camp will range in size from 35 to 50 people and will again focus on bringing some Texas flavor to the playa. Our interactivity offerings include:
- Daily breakfast tacos
- Daily sunglasses replacement, repair, and beautification to the playa (NEW!)
- The 3rd annual running of the Texas Nooner Happy Hour on Wednesday at noon
- Nightly firepit and lounge area
- Our large, hand-painted photo wall art project
- A mutant vehicle “Houston, We Have a Problem”
- Our community truck service between Houston and BRC and back
Infrastructure-wise, we’re offering much the same as we did in 2019, with the exception of the private porto (since we’ll be closer to the public portos this year than we were in 2019). 2022 infrastructure includes:
- Shade – large, flat-panel shade structure (8′ ceiling)
- Water – as much fresh water as you can drink (drink more water please!)
- Kitchen – fully-stocked with all manner of cooking equipment
- Meals – breakfast tacos each morning and a gifted hot meal each evening
- Shower – private, Navy-style
- Power – generator access for charging your electrical devices (RV’s need their own generators)
- Lounge – large common area with lighting, couch, sound system, fire pit, coffee table, camp beer cooler, and rug
- Ice – daily runs (for an additional charge)
- Gear Transport – priority access to putting your gear on our Houston Burning Man Community Truck (for an additional charge)
2022 Dues and Deposit
Camp dues/deposit are $295/person this year, down slightly from 2019, if paid before July 1st. After July 1st, the amount is $495/person. We pride ourselves on keeping our camp dues as low as part of our broader efforts to make Burning Man accessible to as many people from Houston as possible.
Included in the figures above is a $50 deposit against campers each fulfilling their volunteer shift requirements. Houpla is an egalitarian camp that strives to share work equally with no substitution of money for sweat. Everyone is expected to help with pre-playa work, truck load and unload, setup and/or teardown, and on-playa work shifts. Many hands make for light work, and we’ve found chores go very fast when we’ve got everyone involved.
Dues are accepted via Zelle or Paypal to email@example.com.